Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> > I think this is a very difficult point, how do you plan to solve this, choose
> > the right Xserver and XF86Config file for the users system ? Or do you plan
> > to use the fbdev server ? i think not yet all graphic cards have video
> > servers ...
>
> pretty easy: every recent graphic card is pci or agp, so it's detected as
> pci device and listed in the /proc file...

>From what I understand, this would only give you the video card.  The
other half (and the more painful part in my opinion) is the monitor.  Is
there some way to auto-detect a monitor, or is this a lowest common
denominator problem (i.e. small resolution and refresh)?

Just adding a few more cents to the bucket,
Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell  bmitch@atdot.org  http://bmitch.dhis.org/  ICQ 30631197 |
| Throughout history, UNIX systems have regularly been broken into, beaten, |
| brutalized, corrupted, commandeered, compromised, and illegally fscked.   |
|                                    -- UNIX System Administration Handbook |