Re: perl and CPAN updates

On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 06:11:19PM -0500, Mr. Christopher F. Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 02:23:24PM -0400, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > According to Piotr Roszatycki:
[...]
I could certianly see the point in having:
1) A perl-base package that requires perl-bin and perl-base-modules (virtual)
2) A perl-bin package that recommends perl-base-packages
3) A perl-base-packages package that requires the various perl base packages
   packages (virtual)
4) Various packages for bits of the perl-base-packages

If the conflicting uses of package(s) {debian, perl} in the above didn't
confuse people, I think you're see what I'm getting at.  However, I don't
think it's worth it; the base packages aren't all that big.  (Or are they?
On my system, /usr/lib/perl5 is 5.1M, and I only have: data-dumper,
libmd5-perl, libmime-base64-perl, libnet-perl, liburi-perl, netbase,
perl-base, and perl in there.)  A more modular packaging like this, however,
would more easily deal with installing things "behind dpkg's back".

To go along with this, I wonder how hard it would be to hack the CPAN (perl)
package to automaticly register, 'equivs'-style, packages it installs.  Or
would it be better to hack on makemaker?

> Perl is not hard to build.  FWIW I prefer CPAN over the *.deb packaging
> for perl.  I just wish there were some way to divert all the debian
> packages OUT of perl and do perl -MCPAN -e shell install Debian.bundle (or
> some such).  Building that bundle as a cpan module is out of my league,
> unfortunately.  We've been running with our own 5.005 for quite some time;
> we need it.  That's only hard when one of the debian version updates and
> I have to unpack my backup tgz.

	-=- James Mastros
--
"My friend Data: You see the world with the wonder of a child, and that
makes you more human then any of us."