Re: perl and CPAN updates

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> According to Piotr Roszatycki:
> > I think it would be simpler if some perl libraries went to
> > standalone packages.
>
> Debian is free to break up the Perl base, but I don't recommend it.
> It would undermine the whole point of those modules being in the
> upstream distribution in the first place.  You could just upgrade bits
> of the perl base -- CAREFULLY -- when making a new perl-base.deb.

Well, compiling a whole perl is a difficult job. It is a possibility to
crash system because of wrong compiled perl.

It is much easier to upgrade (uupdate?) a small package with perl module.

I think about modules which are quickly developed such as CGI or Net and
new versions are required for some other modules.

I have a problem with ASP library. I could prepare new package for myself easly.
But required new CGI module brought me much troubles.

> > And what about some auto-mechanism for new CPAN modules? Something
> > like cpan-debianiser to making Debian packages from CPAN's tar.gz?
>
> As a tool to help Debian maintainers, sure.  But it's a Bad Idea if
> users run it -- if Some::Vital::Module is updated by its author, and
> it contains a bad bug, *boom*.
Some administrators are maintainers only for themselves...

--

Piotr "Dexter" Roszatycki
mailto:dexter@fnet.pl