Re: XML as a standard UNIX config file format (Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn)

Hi,

> On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 02:57:07PM -0000, Robert Woodcock wrote:
> > UNIX *badly* needs a common config file format, and we might as well start
> > now.
> Why? The config formats of the different unix config files is used because
> different application needs different information structures.

That's why you'd use different DTD's...

> Hu? What is the difference between a Tag <myname> and a tag M: if you enter
> both with a config program?

If you use XML you only need _one_ standard library which is able to parse
it and pass it to the program. The program doesn't need to implement it's
own parser for it's own proprietary file format.

> An XML PArser is very heavy wighted and I dont see a Reason for it. Each
> config file will still have different strucutres and tag names which you
> have to learn. Personally I prefer a /etc/hosts with 3 columns over an XML
> file with a lot of nesed tags I cant work on with grep or shell tools.

It doesn't need to be slow... okay... the library would be big... but you
can wait about 500ms to read a config file once a week if you reconfigure
your sendmail, procmail, or others...

You _can_ grep in xml files... because you can write the tags on _one_
line... but I think you don't need to grep in /etc/hosts...

cu
 gerhard