Re: RFC: YADA: Yet Another Debianisation Aid

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 05:56:47PM +0100, Charles Briscoe-Smith wrote:
> From: Samuel Tardieu <sam@debian.org>
> >On 28/04, Charles Briscoe-Smith wrote:
> >
> >|   Build: sh
> >|    ../configure --prefix=/usr
> >|    make
> >
> >That's really ugly, since it really looks like a shell notation for the
> >parent directory. Why not define that:
> >
> > .          => empty line
> > ..         => line with only '.' on it
> > .something => .something
>
> Why not?  Because I'd rather keep the escape rule simple: if the line
> starts with a '.', it'll be stripped off.

Having things like

 ../configure

meaning ./configure really puts me off. I would never ever use such a
thing,m even if it would be ünercool elsewhere.

Are you sure you want to support a pathological case? I mean, who wants to
have a single dot on a line by itself ANYWAY? It would be much simpler if
the rule goes: A single dot means empty line. Everything else will be copied
verbatim.

Even then, I don't think this file syntax is useful for embedded code like
makefiles. Some lines in makefiles need to be introduced with tabs, some
don't. Maybe that's not the purpose of the above syntax, I didn't take a
close look at yada, so I am sorry if I got this wrong.

Marcus