Re: RFC: YADA: Yet Another Debianisation Aid

From: Samuel Tardieu <sam@debian.org>
>On 28/04, Charles Briscoe-Smith wrote:
>
>|   Build: sh
>|    ../configure --prefix=/usr
>|    make
>
>That's really ugly, since it really looks like a shell notation for the
>parent directory. Why not define that:
>
> .          => empty line
> ..         => line with only '.' on it
> .something => .something

Why not?  Because I'd rather keep the escape rule simple: if the line
starts with a '.', it'll be stripped off.

Would it help if I changed this escape character from a dot to a colon
(or something else)?  I only used a dot because that's what all the
other control files use at the moment.  Most Debian control files don't
even allow any escaping; you just have to avoid starting a line with a
dot.

>| I've just realised that the "clean" rule should say something like this
>| instead, so that it doesn't bomb out on an already-clean directory:
>|
>|   Clean: sh
>|    test ! -e Makefile || make distclean
>
>That's more complicated, as some sub-Makefiles can be absent too while the
>toplevel one is present.

True.  You'd have the same problem when writing a traditional
debian/rules...

>                         It would make sense to define that lines beginning
>with "-" in build, clean, install or whatever target will not stop everything
>it there is an error.

...and perhaps that's how you'd solve it.  This will have to wait for
a new executable-field type.  I plan an executable type "make" which
will look pretty similar to normal make commands, including @ and -.  I
haven't worked out the details yet.

>Sometimes, it is just not convenient to use yada install (when complicated
>things are done from within the Makefile for the install target). There
>really should be a way to create directories, or we will end up with
>lots of "mkdir -p $ROOT/something".

(Or "yada install -dir /something".)  True.  I'll think about this.

>You should make it a package, so that it will be easier to report bugs
>against it.

Will do, when I have time.

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith