Re: RFC: YADA: Yet Another Debianisation Aid

Samuel Tardieu <sam@gnat.com>:
>I started play with it, and got YADA barf on the build part:
>
>Build: sh
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
>
>The first dot is eaten as if it was on a blank line. Bug? :)

No, feature :)

>From yada.txt:

  Lines starting with two full stops after the initial space will have one
  of them stripped before being processed, but will never end up blank.
  Lines starting with a space, then a full stop, then a character other
  than a full stop are reserved for future expansion (at present, the full
  stop is simply stripped off).

And later, there's an example:

  Source: libxyz
  [...]
  Build: sh
   ../configure --prefix=/usr
   make
  Clean: sh
   make distclean

I've just realised that the "clean" rule should say something like this
instead, so that it doesn't bomb out on an already-clean directory:

  Clean: sh
   test ! -e Makefile || make distclean

A couple of other points I should probably clarify:

 - The description of the source package (after the first line) is
   entirely optional.  If you put a description there, it will appear
   at the start of -every- binary package's description.

 - You don't need to create directories before you install files, if
   you use "yada install".  "yada install" should create all necessary
   directories as needed.

 - I don't claim that YADA is actually suitable for general use, yet.
   I've used it for some of my packages, but then, I know all (well,
   most of) its quirks.  If you use it, please check over the install
   image in debian/tmp-* before uploading.

Thanks,

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith