Re: Debian Menus (Was: Re: [PROPOSED] moving the menu hierarchy into debian policy)

On Sat, Apr 24, 1999 at 12:16:36AM +0200, Juergen A. Erhard wrote:

>     Michael> If I don't miss the point, it is all nice by debian.  The
>     Michael> user can make overwrite the menu items and the menu
>     Michael> methods in this home dir and can make a private
>     Michael> update-menu run only for his menues.
>
> Oh yes, he/she can... but it's not *nice*.  Or maybe I'm just dumb:
> but how do you tell the system that for WindowMaker, the Exit items
> are in submenu `Exit' in the root menu (root->Exit->Exit Session).
> *Without* adding a user-specified menu item at that point (which, I
> think, wouldn't even be possible for this).

I am not a WindowMaker expert, but normal you can make own Menus
(Edit .windowmakerrc or like.. ; I don´t know)

> And even if this is possible... how do you do this without reading
> tons of docs and putting some (from a newbie's POV) cryptic strings of
> characters into some file?
>
> Even if all the customization I want is possible, it's not
> *nice*... and much as I love the CLI, and loathe M$ for making people
> believe that a gooey (;-) make any (even the most complicated) task
> childs play, I still *do* like a good graphical tool for things that
> have to do with GUI stuff.  (Would anyone want to do graphic design
> with a CLI tool *only*?  "Move 34,34.  Paint 4.  Convolve."
> Ewwwww...)

If you find click, mouse etc nice:
- write a windowmaker configtool
- pay someone to write something
- search for a tool
- wait for a nice tool

for german:
>     Michael> Grisu
>
> Na, bist du denn schon Feuerwehrmann?  ;-)  (Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Ja, bin ich. (Unterbrandmeister)

> PS: No, contrary to what some may think, I do *not* want to over-GUI
> everything on Linux.  I *love* ascii config files (and `.emacs'...).
> I do *not* want all the Windows DAUs on Linux...

I like text config too. This is unix. You have textfiles and you _can_
edit this textfiles with ´nice´ GUI-tools. But you needn´t.

Grisu
--
Michael Bramer -- a Debian Linux Developer        http://www.debian.org
PGP: finger grisu@master.debian.org   --   Linux Sysadmin   --  Use Debian Linux