Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

R Garth Wood <rgwood@peace.netnation.com> writes:

> I believe cvs does binary files now as well.

Only in a very loose sense.  If you change a binary file, it stores
the whole thing.  You can't see what has actually changed.  Which
makes this feature all-but-useless.  Plus, it's incredibly
storage-inefficient.

> To sum up:
>  Databases offer:
> 	better speed

Not enough to notice unless you have *huge* amounts of data.  Config
file are unlikely to benefit from the ability to sort and search
quickly -- which is the biggest advantage db's offer here -- configs
are usually read in their entirety.

> 	smaller size.

Mostly because you can't easily store comments with a given db entry.
One advantage of text files is that you *can* have all sorts of handy,
useful comments stored in the config file.  Even comments on
particular settings chosen by local admins.

Also, while the data *itself* may be slightly smaller, the code to
parse it becomes much larger.  And, frequently, much less portable.

> 	other inhereted database properties

Such as?  So far, I'm not seeing *any* advantages that are worth
anything.

>  text files have:
> 	the "advantage" that they can be edited easily
> 		consider: what if you're logging in remotely and they
> 			only have telnet or it's a slow connection?
> 	ppl are used to them
> 		this I think is the strongest point. Retraining
> 		is a major concern.
> 	they are not NT

Also, text files are *readable*, don't rely on specialized tools, and
offer far greater flexibility.  It's not just a matter of editing
them, text files can be *parsed* by perl (or other langauge) scripts
that can make intelligent decisions based on their contents.  Yes, you
can write a perl db api, but that doesn't help the poor sucker who's
using sh or Python or C or Eiffel or CLOS or Scheme or Forth or
Snobol.  All of those languages *can* and do parse text out of the
box.

Also, text files are *simple*, and don't require powerful db engines
to be installed.  For people who want to make minimal installations
for embedded systems or such (c.f. the Linux Router Project), this is
a very big issue.

Also text files are inherently platform indepedent.  Many db's are
not, and the ones that are are larger and slower than the ones that
aren't.

A text file can easily be copied to a second machine, and quickly
edited if need be.  A text file can often be recreated with no more
tools than *cat* available, when the system has major corruption.  A
db will make the system far less flexible, far less stable, and far
less maintainable.