Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

Config files in a database is a bad idea. Way more disadvantages than
benefits for 99% of configs. A simple text file, not more than a few K
of data, read once when daemon first started. I can email and share
text files w/ other people. Easy to backup. Easy to grep. Easy to
read. Easy to modify w/ 'ed', even.

There could be valid arguments made in favor of a DB-type system for
sendmail and other MTA configs that are queried over and over again
and contain tons of config parameters. However, they usually have DBM
capabilities for things like aliases, anyway.

Finally, the flexibility w/ flat files can't be matched. Netscape's
preferences are stored in a preferences.js javascript file containing
javascript code. imagine having to hack this into a DB.

I'd be disappointed if programs started using a bloated DB for config
data.

Jae