Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Craig Sanders wrote:

> > > I think the debian-admintool list archives might interest you. In
> > > particular Wichert's config system proposal.
> >
> > I have read it. Keeping data in a text file that needs to be parsed
> > is an antiquated notion that needs to be eliminated.
>
> nak!
>
> with that one comment, i think you have guaranteed that debian won't
> take your config system at all seriously.

I hope you're wrong.

> unix runs on text files, whether hand-edited or generated by a program.
> that will never change.

UNIX will change. Get used to it(paradoxically).

> like most long-time unix users, my attitude towards replacing text

Ok. I see now. My dad still only uses cash. :>

> config files with a windows-style Registry can be summed up as: "over my
> dead body!".

windows * -style registries are not what I'm proposing.

| R Garth Wood                    | Making waves...                     |
| Stormix Technologies Inc.       |                                     |
| rgwood@stormix.com              |                                     |