Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 20:31 -0500, David Welton wrote:
> > In fact I believe that's their most glaring weakness. Enevitably
> > popular software has more and more parsers that read and write it's
> > config files.  Note that they are DIFFERENT parsers(not equivalent
> > ones). For any dataset there should only be one way to access the
> > data(one API for example). This ensures that work is not
> > duplicated. THIS is a good thing.
>
> It would be nice to use standard embeddable languages, such as Guile,
> Tcl, Perl, Python or what have you.  At least you don't rewrite the
> parser for every program, and have a standard way of doing things that
> has the added benefit of a powerful, built in language.  With
> something like Python, you could even byte compile it, although I
> don't think that results in much saved space - I think it speeds
>
> A random comment out of the blue,

And here's another one: isn't this exactly what XML would allow? From what
little I've read it seems that it fulfills the criteria above, while still
remaining readable. Btw, I happen to fall into the binary-is-bad camp re:
config files - I've always preferred vi to a hex-editor ;)

Cheers
	Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.0 on Linux i386 2.2.3
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request