Re: a history question

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 11:08:29AM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen wrote:
> > 2) A bit of a rift developed between the FSF and Debian -- over technical
> > issues like documentation, not stuff like software licenses --
>
> RMS basically attempted to micro-manage Debian, and decided e.g. Debian
> should ship all packages will full debug information, which was unacceptable
> to the developers.

Careful investigation will show that he demanded only debug information by
default. Packages could have been stripped by dinstall for example.

However, *I* think we should create a standard for debian/rules files to
accept optimization control and stripping control by make variables. THis is
currently not guaranteed for all packages, but even I agree that this is low
priority.

Marcus

--
"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>