Re: a history question

On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 18:00:20 -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> In early-mid 1996, three important things happened:
>
> 1) Ian Murdock stepped down as project leader (more or less resigning as a
> developer in the process), appointing Bruce Perens as his successor

IIRC, there was an intermediate phase in which Debian was led by Ian
Murdock, Ian Jackson and Bruce Perens as a triumvirate.

> 2) A bit of a rift developed between the FSF and Debian -- over technical
> issues like documentation, not stuff like software licenses --

RMS basically attempted to micro-manage Debian, and decided e.g. Debian
should ship all packages will full debug information, which was unacceptable
to the developers.

Ray
--
Cyberspace, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go