Re: Linux nis and shadow passwords, non Linux clients

Hmmm, perhaps you'll have to generate your own intermediate passwd file to
generate the NIS maps. However, I would perhaps reconsider using shadow. Unless
you're only serving up some (not root, etc.) passwords from NIS and have set up
NIS to work this way there's no benefit to running shadow locally since NIS is
100% insecure (ie. it'll give up password entries to anyone on your network who
asks).

Nils Rennebarth wrote:

> Again following up on my own posts, sigh:
>
> On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 03:22:58PM +0200, Nils Rennebarth wrote:
> > Next problem: The net nis master runs slink. A slink client works after
> > shadow has been configured and +:::::::: added to /etc/shadow.
> > A client runs partly potato, and does not work, i.e. it won't accept nis
> > passwords. NIS itself appears to work, i.e. I can see the right owners of
> > directories, the homedirs are right, etc. Any known incompatibilities
> > between glibc2.1 and shadow nis?
> Hrmm, deinstalling nis and installing it again worked. This is getting
> Windows like, except that reboots are not necessary.
>
> What should I do however for clients that do not have shadow passwords? Is
> there a way to give them a "made up" password file with entries from real
> passwd and shadow mixed? (security reasons aside)
>
> Nils
>
> --
> Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
> To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source

Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com