Re: /etc/init.d/network is too simple?

    Avery> Now, if you have _dynamic_ interfaces to worry about (to
    Avery> me, that includes dhcp, pcmcia, ppp, etc) they don't belong
    Avery> in /etc/init.d/network anyway.

Yes.

    Avery> I'm not against some kind of plan to manage those more
    Avery> easily.  The PPP ip-up.d/ip-down.d dirs are great, and maybe
    Avery> it makes sense to extend the concept somehow.

Perhaps we need a general /etc/network/ip-{up,down}.d directories,
available for all dynamic network connection mechanisms, not just pppd.

    Avery> I hope we don't overcomplicate things like pcmcia does.
    Avery> With "schemes," configuration files that are really big
    Avery> shell scripts, and other weird stuff, it makes me dizzy
    Avery> just finding the line that sets my pcmcia ethernet's IP
    Avery> address.

How hard is it to change the line in /etc/pcmcia/network.ots that reads?

    IPADDR=""

Besides, the pcmcia-cs package now has a configuration script to set
things up automatically.  See /usr/sbin/pcnetconfig.

Once you get the hang of them, schemes make it easy to set up your
laptop to hook into several networks.  I can't think of a better way,
offhand, to do this any simpler without using flexibility.

    Avery> I'm not against a more complex config scheme, but just keep
    Avery> _static_ configuration in one place (/etc/init.d/network)
    Avery> and _dynamic_ configuration elsewhere.  Most systems have
    Avery> little or no dynamic configuration, so we should keep those
    Avery> systems as simple as possible.

I agree with this.

Brian