Re: /etc/init.d/network is too simple?

On Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 12:10:23PM -0400, Brian Mays wrote:

>     Avery> I'm not against some kind of plan to manage those more
>     Avery> easily.  The PPP ip-up.d/ip-down.d dirs are great, and maybe
>     Avery> it makes sense to extend the concept somehow.
>
> Perhaps we need a general /etc/network/ip-{up,down}.d directories,
> available for all dynamic network connection mechanisms, not just pppd.

That would be pretty neat.  Of course, the ip-up directories need to know
how to bring up and interface, not just what to do once we're connected.

I think?

>     Avery> I hope we don't overcomplicate things like pcmcia does.
>     Avery> With "schemes," configuration files that are really big
>     Avery> shell scripts, and other weird stuff, it makes me dizzy
>     Avery> just finding the line that sets my pcmcia ethernet's IP
>     Avery> address.
>
> How hard is it to change the line in /etc/pcmcia/network.ots that reads?
>
>     IPADDR=""

Not too hard, but I still get dizzy.  It's much harder to have my firewall
automatically update itself with my personally preferred settings when I
connect the network card, because the pcmcia schemes implementation didn't
think of that.

> Besides, the pcmcia-cs package now has a configuration script to set
> things up automatically.  See /usr/sbin/pcnetconfig.

Of course, and it's great.  But one side of this argument was that
overcomplicated configuration schemes force people to use config scripts,
where previously a simple config file would do.  I'd rather edit
/etc/init.d/network than run netconfig (a fictional program) every time I
change a setting, and the same applies to PCMCIA.

No offense to you, of course, who've done a great job of integrating a
configuration schemes system with the existing infrastructure.  I certainly
don't know of a better way.

Have fun,

Avery