Re: /etc/init.d/network is too simple?

On Fri, Apr 16, 1999 at 11:21:51PM -0400, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> I hope we don't overcomplicate things like pcmcia does.  With "schemes,"
> configuration files that are really big shell scripts, and other weird
> stuff, it makes me dizzy just finding the line that sets my pcmcia
> ethernet's IP address.

FWIW, something like schemes probably will happen -- being able to move
laptops around pleasantly is important; and being able to move desktops
around is that bad a deal either.

On the other hand, yes, PCMCIA's scripts are kinda confusing, as are
RedHat's.  Configuration files generally shouldn't be Turing complete,
IMHO.

> I'm not against a more complex config scheme, but just keep _static_
> configuration in one place (/etc/init.d/network) and _dynamic_ configuration
> elsewhere.  Most systems have little or no dynamic configuration, so we
> should keep those systems as simple as possible.

This is going to change over the next few years, btw. First of all, simply
because notebooks and subnotebooks are becoming a lot more popular, and
they'll tend to get moved around between home and work and wherever; and
second because IPv6 is starting to get deployed, and it requires dynamic
configuration.

That said, I don't think there's any huge rush to change things.

Cheers,
aj