Re: /etc/init.d/network is too simple?

> In my /etc/init.d/network, I use commands like this:
>
> 	ifconfig eth0 down
> 	ifconfig eth1 down
[...]
> This guarantees that running /etc/init.d/network flushes all my network
> settings and restores them to defaults.  Since I do a lot of experimentation
> (working on the Tunnel Vision VPN software, etc) this saves me a lot of
> time.
This way doesn't make possible to restart only one interface.
I think, our goals are:
* starting/stoping choised interface(s)
* easy configuration (ip and netmask, broadcast and network are calculated)
* support for multialiasing, traffic shaper, multisubnets on one device
* setting routing table and proxyarp table
* ip-up.d and ip-down directory like in ppp package.
* possibility of including raw shell commands (ifconfig, route)
It is hard to make, isn't it?..

--

Piotr "Dexter" Roszatycki
mailto:dexter@fnet.pl