Re: Removing bash (Was: /etc/init.d/network is too simple?)

On Fri, Apr 16, 1999 at 08:42:57PM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
> I found the solution but such a situation should NEVER happen. At
> least the root account should be guaranteed to work even if the normal
> users' shells fail. Or perhaps the single mode should use statically
> linked ash or some even smaller shell for maintenance? For the moment,
> no maintenance is possible if bash dynamic dependencies fail somehow.
> Perhaps I have overlooked something and there is a standard way in the
> current Debian dists to boot and login as root even if dynamic
> libraries fail.

You want the sash package, which (IMHO) should be in base, though
perhaps not the default for root (But instead something like a root-sash
account, the password of which should be the same as root, would take a
bit of thinking on the best way to do that automaticly)..

Zephaniah E. Hull.
> regards,
>  marek

 PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@whitestar.soark.net>-GPG E65A7801
    Keys available at http://whitestar.soark.net/~warp/public_keys.
           CCs of replies from mailing lists are encouraged.