Re: Want to take tcs package

> Allow me to mention the implementation of `iconv' that is part of
> glibc 2.1. iconv is a set of functions defined in the XPG2 standard

Iconv is nice and long-awaited thing. It would be nice, if instead
of tcs Debian would have iconv-based charset converter.

But I certainly cannot use iconv in upstream version of catdoc, becouse
very few systems now have glibc 2.1.

Also, I'm sure that there are lot more charsets than supported by iconv,
so having an utility which is extensible on user level
(you don't need to be a root to add new charset to catdoc - just
put it in your home directory and write ~/.catdocrc).

Also, catdoc converting engine does lot more than just charset conversion.
It can replace characters which are either special for target format or
don't present in target charset, with proper escape sequences, for
instance %->\% for percent sign in TeX, &->& for HTML.

So. it'll allow you to read for instance, geographic names in Cyrillic
text even if you don't know Cyrillic alphabet, becouse if you convert
Cyrillic text to ISO8859-1 by catdoc, it would transliterate cyrillic.

Victor Wagner			vitus@ice.ru
Programmer			Office:7-(095)-964-0380
Institute for Commerce 		Home: 7-(095)-135-46-61
Engineering                     http://www.ice.ru/~vitus