Re: iconv (was: Re: Want to take tcs package)

At 16:06 +0400 1999-04-13, Victor B Wagner wrote:

Allow me to mention the implementation of `iconv' that is part of
glibc 2.1. iconv is a set of functions defined in the XPG2 standard

Iconv is nice and long-awaited thing. It would be nice, if instead
of tcs Debian would have iconv-based charset converter.

As I said, glibc 2.1 comes with a `iconv' program.

jk@cerberus:[~]% iconv --version
iconv (GNU libc) 2.1.1
Written by Ulrich Drepper.
jk@cerberus:[~]% iconv --help
Usage: iconv [OPTION...] [FILE...]
Convert encoding of given files from one encoding to another.

Input/Output format specification:
 -f, --from-code=NAME       encoding of original text
 -t, --to-code=NAME         encoding for output

Information:
     --list                 list all known coded character sets

Output control:
 -o, --output=FILE          output file
     --verbose              print progress information

 -?, --help                 Give this help list
     --usage                Give a short usage message
 -V, --version              Print program version

Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional
for any corresponding short options.

Report bugs using the `glibcbug' script to <bugs@gnu.org>.

But I certainly cannot use iconv in upstream version of catdoc, becouse
very few systems now have glibc 2.1.

Also, I'm sure that there are lot more charsets than supported by iconv,
so having an utility which is extensible on user level
(you don't need to be a root to add new charset to catdoc - just
put it in your home directory and write ~/.catdocrc).

The glibc 2.1 implementation of iconv is extensible on a user level, one simply has to provide the appropriate gconv-modules file (with modules obviously) and export GCONV_PATH appropriately. (`info libc "glibc iconv Implementation"' for details)
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)       <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>
Debian GNU/Linux Package Maintainer for the GNU C Library.