Re: bash with syslog support

On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 05:30:18PM -0500, Andrew G . Feinberg wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 07:36:00PM +0200, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
>
> > I hope it will be a standard feature in Debian's bash.
>
> I certainly hope not! The day that Debian makes it possible for
> sysadmins to seamlessly spy on users (without doing something like
> typing a password like ttysnoop) is the day that I stop being a Debian
> developer.

any sysadmin worth their salt CAN seamlessly spy on users. it's not
difficult at all for someone with a reasonable amount of unix knowledge.

as for syslogging bash command lines, it would be nearly trivial to hack
libreadline to log all commands as they are entered...and that would
enable logging for every program that used readline.

(in fact, i know someone who does something similar to this with a
hacked older version of bash. he runs a public access system and says
that it is vital for his system's security...i'm not sure i agree with
him, but it's his system and he can do what he wants with it. he informs
his users that their actions are monitored, so i don't see it as being a
problem)

craig

--
craig sanders