Re: bash with syslog support

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Andrew G . Feinberg wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 07:36:00PM +0200, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
>
> > I hope it will be a standard feature in Debian's bash.
>
> I certainly hope not! The day that Debian makes it possible for sysadmins to
> seamlessly spy on users (without doing something like typing a password like
> ttysnoop) is the day that I stop being a Debian developer.
Well, everything depend of admin.
If you don't need it - just don't modify your syslog.conf!

I found this patch very helpful. I have a sysadmin of my servers and
I always have problems with "hakerz" and other cyberterrorists.
I need this logs for police or other special accidents.

I used this feature for six months. As I wrote I saw this feature in
freebsd zsh. In this time I needed logs a few times as proof after
breaking my systems.

Yes, some sysadmin would be paranoidal schizofrenic. Hmm, and what about
/var/log/ppp.log (and its clear passwords)? What about /var/log/auth.log
and /var/log/wtmp? Maybe we should throw away 'w' and 'last' commands?
'finger' is much worst of them ;-)

I think the best option is a choise of options.

--

Piotr "Dexter" Roszatycki
mailto:dexter@fnet.pl