Re: moving of dinstall run time on master.

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Darren O. Benham wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 09:41:05PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > Wait a minute.  Since when does Novare dictate Debian policy?  Why are
> > you, or they, forcing decisions on Debian solely by virtue of your
> > status as a donor of equipment to Debian?
> Where did policy come into *this* event?  The accusation is that Novare
> attempted to dicated Debian policy.  There is nothing in policy that states
> the time dinstall is supposed to run... not that I"ve found anyway.

John is saying there needs to be a policy on what an ongoing donor can request
of debian.  There currently is no such policy, or if there is, I am not away
of it.

So there are 2 policies being talked about here.  Internal depian policy, and
an as of yet unmade policy with donators.

> > Once again, Novare people are invoking their status as Debian donors
> > as justification for imposing decisions on Debian.  Regardless of
> > whether the move is justified (I believe it is), you are not the one
> > to force this decision on Debian, and the fact that your company
> > donates equipment to Debian gives it no special right to control
> > Debian.  Where does the Constitution, or the SPI Bylaws, state that
> > donors have control over Debian affairs?
> <Whatif>
> A statement by a doner like "run pulse once a week or get your machine out
> of here" is a form of coersion.  Are you trying to say that the donar
> doesn't have the right to say that?
> </Whatif>

If I had wanted to use an iron fist to change this, I would have gone ahead
and done it.  By the very fact that I sent email ahead of time, says that I
was opening it for dicusssion.

Yes, the tone of my original email was on the dark side.  I have already
apologized for this.  Again, I am sorry for stepping on peoples toes.

I said that dinstall's time will be changed, period.  When I created that
thought, I knew enough of how debian is run, and new that there were no large
problems with having it's time moved.  A few small ones, yes(moving lintian,
how it affects the distro at release time), but nothing major.  So I didn't
think anyone would say no to moving dinstall, so that is why I said dinstall
will be changed.

> > Novare does not work for Debian or for the developers.  Why should
> > they make a decision?
> They pay for the bandwidth that master is using when dinstall runs.  They
> should have the right to tell us to decrease the bandwidth that Debian is
> using... or to reduce the peak usage...
>
> It *is* up to us to decide how... Adam is a bit of a unique situation in
> that he's a developer, too, so he can see HOW Debian can do this.

Yes, me being in this position has opened my eyes to the donor's point of
view.  And, I am sorry to say, it isn't good.

If I contrast what I knew when I was just a developer, to what I know now,
after also seeing the from this new view point, is disturbing.  I see debian
developers sometimes not appreciating what a donor must go thru when giving.
And I am sickened by this, because I know I used to be the same way.  :(

Adam