Re: moving of dinstall run time on master.

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 09:41:05PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Wait a minute.  Since when does Novare dictate Debian policy?  Why are
> you, or they, forcing decisions on Debian solely by virtue of your
> status as a donor of equipment to Debian?
Where did policy come into *this* event?  The accusation is that Novare
attempted to dicated Debian policy.  There is nothing in policy that states
the time dinstall is supposed to run... not that I"ve found anyway.

> Once again, Novare people are invoking their status as Debian donors
> as justification for imposing decisions on Debian.  Regardless of
> whether the move is justified (I believe it is), you are not the one
> to force this decision on Debian, and the fact that your company
> donates equipment to Debian gives it no special right to control
> Debian.  Where does the Constitution, or the SPI Bylaws, state that
> donors have control over Debian affairs?
<Whatif>
A statement by a doner like "run pulse once a week or get your machine out
of here" is a form of coersion.  Are you trying to say that the donar
doesn't have the right to say that?
</Whatif>

> Novare does not work for Debian or for the developers.  Why should
> they make a decision?
They pay for the bandwidth that master is using when dinstall runs.  They
should have the right to tell us to decrease the bandwidth that Debian is
using... or to reduce the peak usage...

It *is* up to us to decide how... Adam is a bit of a unique situation in
that he's a developer, too, so he can see HOW Debian can do this.