Re: moving of dinstall run time on master.

Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:

> > Wait a minute.  Since when does Novare dictate Debian policy?  Why are
> > you, or they, forcing decisions on Debian solely by virtue of your
> > status as a donor of equipment to Debian?
>
> Policy?  How is this policy?  Moving dinstall's run time does not affect
> debian positively or negatively.

You have claimed the right to tweak the crontabs of a certain
developer, crontabs that happen to control dinstall run time.

Now then, since you magically have this right (which neither the
Constitution nor the Bylaws grants you), you could just as easily
decide to change it so that dinstall runs once a month.

> And please, don't forget that debian does not pay for this bandwidth.

I know.  Had you said, "Debian, please do x; here are the reasons", I
see no reason that we would have objected.

See?  You are taking a Debian decision out of our realm and making it
your own.

> > Once again, Novare people are invoking their status as Debian donors
> > as justification for imposing decisions on Debian.  Regardless of
> > whether the move is justified (I believe it is), you are not the one
> > to force this decision on Debian, and the fact that your company
> > donates equipment to Debian gives it no special right to control
> > Debian.  Where does the Constitution, or the SPI Bylaws, state that
> > donors have control over Debian affairs?
>
> <hypothetical>
> Eh?  So, do you say that we would have no right to pull the plug on debian
> donations?  Would you force us to keep hosting for debian, because it would
> harm the project otherwise?  If so, then why not just force uunet, digital
> island, sprint, earthlink, exodus, mindspring, mci to host debian machines,
> and have each give us a 100mbps switched ethernet connect?
> </hypothetical>

You do have the right to pull the plug on Debian donations, unless
there was some contractual agreement that I am not aware of.

And you have the right to tell us "Debian, please do x; here are the
reasons.  If you don't, we will have to stop donating y to your
project."  The difference between this and what you were doing is that
in this case, Debian can make the decision whether we will do x or
find a different provider for y.  As you have said it, Debian will do
x whether it likes to or not.

> Because we pay for the bandwidth.  We have every right to say how that
> bandwidth is used.

So you have every right to say that ssh will be discontinued?  That
50% of developer accounts will be deleted because they use bandwidth?
And you have the right to go on to master to delete ssh because it
uses bandwidth?