Re: Mostly free software...

David Welton <davidw@master.debian.org> writes:

> Supporting is quite distinct from developing.  Who is making a living
> developing free software?  I'm quite interested in hearing about it -
> there are a number of models floating around there now, and I'm
> anxious to see which ones prove successful.  Abisource is one of the
> few that I can think of that is purely free, and is actually creating
> their own product, instead of bundling, or supporting other's stuff...

I am making money developing free software.  It is not the only
software which I write, nor the only software for which I get paid.
My present employer, onShore Inc. has paid me to produce several tools
which have been GPLed.  Basically all work I do which is not directly
contracted by clients (and most likely useless to the free software
community anyways) ends up getting GPLed.

> > If people want to write commercial software, then it's up to them,
> > but I can do without the "I'd really like to do free software, but I
> > need to pay the mortgage" crap.
>
> How about - "I'd like to write free software not just in the evenings,
> but 8 hours a day - how do I do it?".

Work as a developer for a support company building tools for all the
Debian boxes they are deploying.  Or build tools for a stable of
software developers who are all emacs and GNU fans.  Make sure it is
for a company which understands why they should GPL the things you
make.

> > I see no reason for us to make allowances for people who decide to
> > compromise their principles (assuming they had any) in return for an
> > easy life.
>
> I never said anything about making compromises, I was just grousing:-)
> I think free software is *right*, but don't see any real clear answers
> regarding the economic side of things.

It seems to me that economic issues are never clear on that level, on
the macro level they clear up pretty fast tho, the poor get fucked,
the rich get richer.

It's a tired cliche, but I really do agree that software is a support
industry, so you can always tie in your free software work with other
projects which do not directly involve making more proprietary
software.  Maybe start a company installing Debian boxes, or find any
number of support businesses which are looking for people like that.
The work you do can go back into Debian, or other free software
projects, or maybe make a new project.

--
Craig Brozefsky        <craig@red-bean.com>
Less matter, more form!      - Bruno Schulz