Re: We can halve volume by not allowing nondevelopers to post

On 22-Mar-99, 08:35 (CST), Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> debian-devel:
>
> Discussion of debian development. [snip]
>
> debian-devel-discuss:
>
> The preferred forum for non-developers to make suggestions to debian
> developers about all aspects of debian development. [snip]

So I have to read both of these. What's the point?

> debian-{hamm,slink,potato}

These are a good idea, along with the idea that debian-user points
to the current stable, and debian-unstable points to the current
unstable/frozen.

> A statement like this might be posted on the lists web-page:
>
> The Debian developers sincerely regret the necessity of closing the
> debian-devel list to posting.  However, it was deemed that the importance
> of having a public forum to which all developers could subscribe made this

Sorry, it's no longer a public forum. It's private forum that publishes.

I think closing the list non-developers is a bad idea. Letting
proto-developers participate is a good way to get them going, and for
those of us who don't usually read -user, it's really the only way a
non-developer would catch our attention (except direct e-mail, bug
reports, and such)

Steve