Re: We can halve volume by not allowing nondevelopers to post

On 22-Mar-1999, Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> wrote:
> On 22-Mar-99, 08:35 (CST), Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > debian-devel:
> >
> > Discussion of debian development. [snip]
> >
> > debian-devel-discuss:
> >
> > The preferred forum for non-developers to make suggestions to debian
> > developers about all aspects of debian development. [snip]
>
> So I have to read both of these. What's the point?

The point is that you don't have to read the discussion group unless
you are interested.  Believe it or not there are some developers who
are more interested than cutting code than chewing the fat.

> I think closing the list non-developers is a bad idea. Letting
> proto-developers participate is a good way to get them going, and for
> those of us who don't usually read -user, it's really the only way a
> non-developer would catch our attention (except direct e-mail, bug
> reports, and such)

I agree.  We should discourage non-developers from posting, but
encourage proto-developers.  A good way to do this is to move the
chatty discussions elsewhere, make separate places to discuss the
various releases between developers and users.  Then the only thing
that is left to discuss is development work.

I don't mind if we split the already private list "debian-private" into
a debian-confidental (for things that are only for developers ears) and
debian-private (for things that are best discussed only by developers).
But I don't think that closing off debian-devel will do anything but
cut off Debian from gaining new developers.

--
The quantum sort:
	while (!sorted) { do_nothing(); }