Re: We can halve volume by not allowing nondevelopers to post

> I could see some benefit from this situation:
>
> debian-devel:
>
> Discussion of debian development.  Open for reading, posting restricted to
> debian developers.  Debian non-developers are encourage to express their
> points of view in private mail to someone on the thread - and the
> developers are expected to summarise these opinions, when they are
> valuable.  Debian developers are expected to subscribe to this list.

I'm the last person who should be posting on this issue, though I confess
that I do still hope to be accepted as a developer... However I feel that
something here hasn't been expressed that one might want to consider..

The pure volume of the current thread (That's at times made me wish I just
shunted all email from -devel into /dev/null until I was accepted) aside,
one of the complaints I hear often about Debian is that it's fairly
elitist and rife with politics. While I've defended it on these counts, I
think that closing the email list to postings would seem a very unilateral
action (While /possibly/ appropriate).. In short, it wouldn't necessarily
be good PR for Debian..

Of course, it would eliminate the occasional spam problem :>

And if one needs to send something through a developer to get it to the
list, one small problem with that is inherant in the nature of people
(Humans and dwaggins alike): Everyone being different, who does one send
something through? What if they wouldn't see it as important, even if four
others would? Would it be suggestion roulette?

Just a few thoughts.. feel free to disagree violently or flame me.. in
private.. keep -devel sane, da? :>

-Kysh

--
-> 1988 Black Kawasaki EX500 ('Yarf!') <street>
-> FAA licensed private pilot