Re: Plan for device detection for installation

Previously Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> 3. do a pci scan
>    [Could we do this before 1? We could learn about mass storage from there]

I think we should offer to do all scans as the initial step so we can
find things like harddisks and videocards quickly, and also have the
option to postpone the check until a base-system is installed.

> 5. check for the rest of the hardware using checkpointing on the disk mounted
> as root of the installation (loading modules as we go)

Also only if the user agrees with this, and offer to scan only for a
subset of hardware.

> We can not use the normal filesystem operations because we will have to do a
> fsck after reboot. The only alternative I can think of:

6. Abuse a swap-partition ?

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl