Re: Intent to package: "birthday"

On Sun, Mar 14, 1999 at 07:55:34PM +0000, Andy Mortimer wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 04:04:42PM +0000, Andy Mortimer wrote:
> > > I still haven't quite decided what license -- GPL or Artistic,
> > > probably -- to release it under, but it will definitely be DFSG-free.
> >
> > Use GPL and we can wrap it Gtk. Or do what perl does, offer both licenses!
> > You don't have to use a single license only.
>
> OK, I've probably missed something here -- I don't tend to follow the
> licensing discussions too closely! -- but just out of interest, why
> does giving it a non-GPL license prevent it being wrapped with Gtk?
> AFAICT (not knowing if Gtk has a funny license, I assume it's GPL) the
> Artistic should be "compatible" with the GPL, no?

Oops. Sorry, Gtk is LGPL, so everything is fine with any DFSG free license
(and, even with non-DFSG free licenses!).

Sorry for the disinformation.

But just FYI, if Gtk were GPL'ed, you could not use it with GPL-incompatible
licenses. As far as I know, Artistic is not GPL-compatible, but I have not
reviewed both licenses under this aspect, so don't take my word for it.

And then, I still like the GPL best, so call me dude :)

Thanks,
Marcus