FOUND IT!!! was Re: Problems with dselect...

Well, I found the problem. The problem is with dpkg-http, which
pre-depends on libhtml-parser-perl, and depends on libwww-perl. These are
all optional packages!

Isn't it a mistake to pre-depend upon optional packages?

In any case it seems that dselect finds all the depends and pre-depends
(and identifies each properly) but fails to deal with it, and passes dpkg
an impossible situation, leading to the error messages.

With this out of the way, I still can't install all packages at once. This
is caused by the fact that dselect wishes to install a bunch of perl
add-on packages before perl has been installed, dying with "too many
errors" which blocks further progress. Since installing the "standard"
system resolves this issue, the problem has a work around, but it would be
nicer if dselect could deal with a small number of "install first"
packages to take care of this problem.

Waiting is,

Dwarf