Re: Problems with dselect...

On 15 Mar 1999, John Hasler wrote:

> Dale Scheetz writes:
> > So, how do I change the package order with dselect?
>
> I don't know.  I just went back and deselected some packages and did two
> runs instead of one.

Yes, dividing it into smaller sets seems to help, although I have one
example where a restricted set of sections (optional admin, optional
devel, and optional editors) gives the same failure. I'm still trying to
break this down further. I am hoping to find the (hopefuly 2) packages
that cause this behaviour, so a simpler test case can be used to resolve
the bug. (even with this test case, I have a couple of experiments I want
to try ;-)

> > From what you are saying it sounds like a failure in dependency
> > satisfaction?
>
> I suspect a package-ordering problem, but that's a guess.  I've never been
> able to reproduce the bug.

I can provide a CD and simple intructions for reproducing the bug "on
demand" ;-)

> > So all I need to find out is which package needs to be installed first?
>
> Could you use pkg-order?

I can use pkg-order to provide the proper installation order, but I don't
know how to make dselect follow the list. I could make a "data pool" of
all the packages, writen to the pool in the order of installation, but I
don't know that the global install call to dpkg would take advantage of
that.

BTW, I believe I have found a bug in pkg-order. Several of the gnome
packages use the OR (|) construct in depends, and pkg-order ignores such
dependencies when doing its checks. imagemagick and xmh, also leave
dependencies unresolved because of ORed dependencies.

Also, thanks for taking the time to talk about this problem. I know you
are, at best, a bit more, or less, in the dark than myself about the
causes of this problem. It is just nice to have the moral support. It
helps return my focus to the problem. Thanks again.

Luck,

Dwarf