naive user

Montreal Mon Mar 15 19:03:54 1999

A long while ago, I recompiled my /usr/sbin/tcpd so that it properly
does IDENT lookups on all connections and I replaced my old
/usr/sbin/tcpd with the newly compiled one.

Relatively recently, I upgraded to Hamm and naturally, netbase was
upgraded including my custom compiled tcpd.  It's only today that I
noticed that I was losing attack information and so I had to recompile
my tcpd and replace it.

Is there a better way to handle this sort of thing?  Being a naive
user I simply copied over the default Debian binary and forgot all
about it but I hear rumours that in those in the BSD world have a
clean way of handling such things.

Thanks,
Navin.