Re: [Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

Paul Nathan Puri writes:
> Where you say 'free licenses cannot be revoked': What is your authority
> for that statement?

I'm saying that in my opinion, revocable licenses are not free.  My
"authority" is the DFSG and my understanding of what free software is.  It
really isn't a question of law.

> The licensor can set the terms and conditions upon which revocation may
> be a consequence.

Yes, of course he can.  That is the whole point of having a copyright or
patent, isn't it?  I just meant that if he does choose to release his work
under a revocable license, that it should not be considered free.

Note: by "revocable license" I don't mean ones that are automatically
revoked should the licensee fail to comply with the conditions.  I mean
ones such as the IBM Postfix license that can be revoked at will by the
licensor.