Re: naive user

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Navindra Umanee wrote:

> Montreal Mon Mar 15 19:03:54 1999
>
> A long while ago, I recompiled my /usr/sbin/tcpd so that it properly
> does IDENT lookups on all connections and I replaced my old
> /usr/sbin/tcpd with the newly compiled one.
>
> Relatively recently, I upgraded to Hamm and naturally, netbase was
> upgraded including my custom compiled tcpd.  It's only today that I
> noticed that I was losing attack information and so I had to recompile
> my tcpd and replace it.
>
> Is there a better way to handle this sort of thing?  Being a naive
> user I simply copied over the default Debian binary and forgot all
> about it but I hear rumours that in those in the BSD world have a
> clean way of handling such things.

Well, make sure that you compile your custom version as a package (take
the debian source, make any changes necessary,  change version number
slightly, and install).

Then, probably put that package on hold in dpkg, and certainly keep it
around for future reference.

You could, although I don't particularly recommend this, give your local
version a very high version number, so it doesn't get replaced.  However,
this is an 'ugly' solution compared to putting it on hold.

Jules