Re: GNOME universe

Montreal Mon Mar 15 15:29:26 1999

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> wrote:
> Still, Gnome is pretty bad at poluting the namespace.  It could do a
> lot better.

Wouldn't you say the packager is ultimately responsible for handling
this sort of thing?  I mean, just because the official GNOME rpms do
this, doesn't mean the GNOME debs have to do it too.

For example, no other application in Debian that I know of uses
/usr/etc/.  It's not even defined in the FHS.  Yet it seems that
because the GNOME rpms use it, the GNOME debs use it too...  I thought
Debian was strict about that kind of thing.

FYI:

[asimov] [/usr/etc] ls -al
total 3
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         1024 Mar  6 00:14 .
drwxr-xr-x  19 root     root         1024 Mar  5 23:37 ..
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         1024 Mar  5 23:37 CORBA
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           16 Mar  6 00:13 mc.global -> etc/mc/mc.global

Maybe I'm at fault for stealing debs from Jules personal homepage
though...  :)

> There are other examples:
>
>  /etc/CORBA
>  /etc/sound
>  /usr/share/idl
>
> Even worse are the name collisions...

I agree and an easy way out would be /etc/gnome /usr/share/gnome for
Debian.  Of course, it would be very nice of the GNOME developers
accepted these patches back in...

> They recently moved /usr/share/apps -> /usr/share/gnome/apps.  For a
> long time, it was colliding with KDE.

I would expect the KDE debs to follow suit.

Later,
Navin.