Re: Device detection? [Summary]

On Mon, 15 Mar, 1999, Joseph Carter wrote:
> We've very close to an ISA-free system now, that is the trend in design.
> The only two components not PCI in new machines these days are internal
> modems and sound cards.  The sound cards are becoming PCI now too since
> it's been discovered that not only is a PCI sound card typically better
> than the equivalent ISA type, they're also cheaper to make.

Actually there is a problem in the Windows/DOS world. A PCI card can not
pretend to be an ISA card so old DOS games will not work. Windows 98 includes
a ISA sound card emulator, I think, but this still means no sound in DOS games
not running under Windows.

--
GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
                                                -- The GNU Manifesto