Re: Device detection? [Summary]

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 06:50:11PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > These are probably all we really need do.  It's been argued (see above
> > reference to irc) that if people have legacy hardware they know about it.
>
> Seems reasonable. Microsoft's Network PC specs indicate that such a PC
> may not even have any ISA slots. It's unusual of Microsoft to break
> backwards compatibility.

That's a joke I hope...

We've very close to an ISA-free system now, that is the trend in design.
The only two components not PCI in new machines these days are internal
modems and sound cards.  The sound cards are becoming PCI now too since
it's been discovered that not only is a PCI sound card typically better
than the equivalent ISA type, they're also cheaper to make.

Waiting for PCI modems to catch on now.

JHM> Somehow I have more respect for 14 year old Debian developers than
     14 year old Certified Microsoft Serfs.