Re: Device detection? [Summary]

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 01:52:58AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 06:50:11PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > These are probably all we really need do.  It's been argued (see above
> > > reference to irc) that if people have legacy hardware they know about it.
> >
> > Seems reasonable. Microsoft's Network PC specs indicate that such a PC
> > may not even have any ISA slots. It's unusual of Microsoft to break
> > backwards compatibility.
>
> That's a joke I hope...

No, not really. 95 is unreliable and generally not very good because
they went to a lot of trouble to keep DOS compatibility. NT is better
because they threw that away, along with any direct hardware access for
user-mode programs.

> We've very close to an ISA-free system now, that is the trend in design.
> The only two components not PCI in new machines these days are internal
> modems and sound cards.  The sound cards are becoming PCI now too since
> it's been discovered that not only is a PCI sound card typically better
> than the equivalent ISA type, they're also cheaper to make.
>
> Waiting for PCI modems to catch on now.

I would prefer PCMCIA on the desktop, for modems and network cards.

Hamish