Re: Looking for project to work on

Dave Swegen <dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> writes:

> As I'm currently unemployed I tend to have a fair amount of time on
> my hands, and would therefore like to help out on a project of some
> kind. As my coding skills aren't that great and I would like to
> improve them I would appreciate it if someone could take me under
> their wing, as it were, and throw me smaller, not too complex tasks
> to do, and if possible comment on the code. I know the theory of C,
> and I'm going through Learning Perl at the moment. A while back I
> did a bit of coding in gtk+.
>
> Please note that my inet access is metered, and I must therefore be
> able to test the code locally, without doing huge downloads.

If you're interested, GnuCash could use some developers
(www.gnucash.org), and I generally enjoy helping out as I have time.
You'd have an initial expense for the CVS checkout of the source tree,
but after that, updates should be fairly cheap.

Currently, you could learn all kinds of things working on GnuCash
(guile, eperl, swig, C, GNOME, Gtk+, LessTif, autoconf), though that's
not necessarily a selling point for the user :> :<