Re: glibc 2.1 and compatibility (Was: slink is gone, goals for potato?

On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 11:39:27AM -0500, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 09:24:25AM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> The proposal:
>
> Debian can provide a useful service by adding new, unsupported
> mini-distributions (one per stable dist) for packages from unstable compiled
> against (past and present) stable systems.  It would exist merely as a
> courtesy to users, and developers would be under no pressure to contribute
> to it.  unstable would remain the focus of development.
>
> The guidelines for uploading to this mini-dist are simple: don't upgrade
> "system-level" packages (libraries, low-level utilities, standard shell
> commands), and only add packages that are reasonably expected to work (have
> lived in unstable for a bit without problems).  Both of these criteria
> require judgements, but in practice the answers are usually obvious, and we
> can err on the side of caution.
>
> The distribution would be clearly labeled as unsupported, available only as
> a courtesy to users.  However, it should be available in the same way as
> other distributions.  (I don't know what to call it--perhaps
> hamm-unsupported-updates?)
>
> I said this is light-weight.  I really mean it--developers should be free to
> ignore the new dists completely.  However, inevitable it will take some
> energies away from unstable, so I understand if people don't want to do it.
> I do hope to convince you that it's the only solution to the "Debian is
> obsolete" gripe that should be considered at the current time.  It also has
> the feature that, if successful, the project could scale up gradually.
>
> And I think users would appreciate it greatly.

A good idea. Paul Seelig has make this service on his own computer at
the time we have make hamm and a lot new packages need the new glib.

Have we the resource? Who make it?

to the system-level package I have a idea:
no required and important package and a overridefile. This overridefile
is mantained from the debian-maintainer. A maintainer can add his
packages or remove it.
With this criteria the system-level package aren't require judgements
and the upload don't need a maintainer...

Grisu
--
Michael Bramer -- a Debian Linux Developer        http://www.debian.org
PGP: finger grisu@master.debian.org   --   Linux Sysadmin   --  Use Debian Linux