Re: debian rsync mirrors busy all the time

At 10:14 -0500 1999-02-24, Randolph Chung wrote:
My impression of the bandwidth shaping module was that each connection
would be limited to about 256k.  This would impact existing "customers"
... the stats suggest there are at least a few people with "fast"
connections who mirror off this server.

you are mostly right:
from /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/shaper.txt:
o       Minimum shaping speed is currently about 9600 baud (it can only
       shape down to 1 byte per clock tick)
o       Maximum is about 256K, it will go above this but get a bit blocky.

i don't have a faster-than-256K connection, but maybe someone who does can
try and let us know what it means by being "blocky"?

I would guess that policy routing would do a much better job at this kind of thing. Trouble is there is not much documentation on it.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                     <URL:http://web.espy.org/>
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                  <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>