Re: [Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 12:41:28PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 07:37:06AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > > Two words:  binary drivers.
> > >
> > > If you ask me, that goes against everything the GPL stands for and yes it
> > > can have a serious impact on Linux.
> >
> > So when you finally triumph and FreeBSD starts to get popular and propietary
> > drivers distributed for it, will you drop it like a dead cat and find a
> > new OS, never being truely faithful to the systems that have given so
> > much to you?
>
> Why do you insist on assuming that one can use a FreeBSD kernel or a
> Linux kernel, but not use both?  That's rather shortsighted.

Gee, I don't recall saying that at all. Let's see, I commented on your
insistent belief that since Linux is under fire, directly due to it's
popularity, you wish to promote a new OS and try to save the free software
community from Linux's eminent doom. Am I getting all this correct?

Use FreeBSD all you want, hell propose we support it in Debian, and see
how thin our resources get, how huge our distribution get's, how many
mirrors drop our site, and how many people leave in frustration of the
growing development costs on their time and energy.

I have nothing against FreeBSD, I like it and have told you this already,
so your argument to me is irrelevant. Here it is really simply:

I DON'T WANT DEBIAN DYING OF OVERBLOATEDNESS!

Now back to our regularly scheduled Debian distribution...

OpenLDAP Core - bcollins@openldap.org                 bcollins@debian.org
UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems         The Choice of the GNU Generation