Re: Debian GNU/Unix replaces Debian GNU/Linux

On 22 Feb, Ossama Othman wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I would much rather have Debian GNU/Unix which provides Linux and FreeBSD
>> kernels side by side, instead of setting up a whole new Debian GNU/FreeBSD
>> distribution, where only a few megs of binaries would be different to the
>> Linux edition, and all the rest would be duplication. (Since FreeBSD DOES
>> run our current linux binaries)
>
> I have a question.  Doesn't using the name "Unix" require some sort of
> certification?  Isn't that the reason why Linux is called a "Unix-like"
> OS?  Thanks for any clarification.

As a matter of fact, "Unix" is a trademark of some not-too-intelligent
bloated corporation,[1] and yes, there is a certification requirement
to use the name "Unix".  Actually, you can't even call Linux
"Unix-like" without their permission, which they have (conveniently)
refused.  The suggestion I have heard is to call Unix(TM) a Linux-like
system, since this use of the word "Linux" is not restricted by the
trademark holder.[2]

In the end, though, Debian GNU/Unix is an impossibility, because of the
trademark problem.

[1] ...who will probably be p.o.'d at me for referring to them in this
way.  Too bad.
[2] Thanks to Jon 'maddog' Hall for this one.  Heard at a NNHLUG meeting

--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College