Re: Linux with FreeBSD userspace

On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 09:22:00PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 02:52:49AM -0500, Avery Pennarun wrote:
>
> > The first time I ran freebsd (a few years ago, now) I was struck by just
> > how much faster its console ran and programs loaded.  Why?  Less
> > featureful, but much smaller/faster programs.  I can't comment on
> > modern-day freebsd.  Maybe it's gotten fatter over time, just like Linux
> > has.  (And don't try to tell me libc6 isn't bloated!)
>
> YMMV; I found the console to be quite ugly (especially the block cursor)
> and did not feel comfortable using it. I use the Linux console more than
> I do X, though.

The block cursor is just personal preference.  There have been Linux kernel
patches for a long time to provide a block cursor, but I think Linus didn't
like them for some reason.

What else makes the FreeBSD console ugly?  I didn't really notice anything
problematic (other than csh :)).

Have fun,

Avery