Re: Linux with FreeBSD userspace

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 08:42:07AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 12:46:22PM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:
>
> > Actually, I've often wanted a Linux distro that was the reverse of
> > what people want here:  A distro based on FreeBSD, but with the Linux
> > kernel plunked in, and the appropriate accompanying software.
>
> that's truly bizarre.
>
> if you want something like that, why not try slackware? it's even
> messier than freebsd.

Actually, last time I checked, the BSD userspace was much less bloated than
any of the GNU stuff.  Now mind you, I love my GNU extensions and wouldn't
want to give them up under normal use, but sometimes (eg. on low-memory or
slow systems) smaller, faster, and simpler is better.

The first time I ran freebsd (a few years ago, now) I was struck by just how
much faster its console ran and programs loaded.  Why?  Less featureful, but
much smaller/faster programs.  I can't comment on modern-day freebsd.  Maybe
it's gotten fatter over time, just like Linux has.  (And don't try to tell
me libc6 isn't bloated!)

Have fun,

Avery