Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 12:55:05PM -0600, David Welton wrote:
> > Um, as I said the reason I was told to expect direct attempts to
> > sabotage the effort is the GPL.  Most BSD people have a problem with
> > the GPL and the GNU software.  NetBSD people seem to have a problem
> > with the GPL and anything not part of 4.4BSD being part of the
> > "operating system" release.
>
> This sounds pretty paranoid to me.  Do you have any authoritative
> sources for why these people are going to try and wreck other's work?
> That's a nasty accusation that ought to be backed up with more than "I
> was told ...."
>
> It's pretty obvious that they probably wouldn't lift a finger to
> actually *help* us, but I'm not sure that means sabotage

Only a handful of URLs containing list and newsgroup archives I was
looking through...  The NetBSD people have been somewhat outspoken in
strong opposition to Linux and the GNU project in general.  They don't
seem to like us much.

Nothing concrete that guarantees sabotage, bot a lot that indicates they
would break compatibility in a second without regard for our project.
More than just a little suggests they would be happy to break
compatibility with us just because they can and quite possibly will.  Add
the NetBSD/OpenBSD events to that (personal issues or not) and yes, I
believe I can safely say we should expect even open sabotage if we try to
use the NetBSD kernel.

--
"There are 3 things to remember about being a Starship Captain:
 Keep your shirt tucked in, go down with the ship, and never,